13 February 2011

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White review

Posted by Meghan @ Books and a Cup of Tea at 2:22 AM

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Evie considers herself as normal as possible given her current situation. She's an employee of IPCA (International Paranormal Containment Agency) and it's her job to basically arrest different paranormal species. She has a special gift that allows her to see through "glamours," such as seeing through a vampire to their rotting corpse beneath, seeing a werewolves' yellow eyes even though it isn't a full moon, etc.

She also tries to be as normal as possible considering her ex-boyfriend Reth is a faerie, her best friend Lish is a mermaid, and she's crushing on Lend the shape shifter. What isn't normal is that there has been someone or something that has been killing paranormals and it doesn't leave a trace behind. So can Evie solve the riddle of it all before it's too late?

This book had me from the beginning because of the genius way it was written. I mean, Kiersten White took the slightly dark and mysterious subject of paranormal and made it light-hearted in a way I've never seen or read before. She doesn't make fun of the genre, she just makes it less serious, but in a good way. The way she writes is just pure awesome and hilarious.

She wrote everyone's personalities well as well, getting her characterization down. Evie is so innocent, yet experienced in things a normal teenager should not be. She's such a different character compared to all the female main characters of most paranormal books. She has such a unique personality, that it's a breath of fresh air. Something that had me loving her from the very first chapter.

I also loved the mystery of the prophecy and Reth, and I was flipping through the pages excited to learn exactly what he was up to. And of course, I cannot forget the romance between Evie and Lend as I silently urged them to get together with each passing page.

Kiersten White has such a great talent for writing such light, funny dialogue, yet can dial up the steamy romance notch any times she wants for the reader. I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish and will read anything by White in a heartbeat because of reading this book. I am eagerly anticipating the second novel of this series.

I give this book a 5 out of 5 stars.


View all my reviews

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't read much YA but this one has caught my attention, sounds like a different take on "paranormal."

Post a Comment

Thank you for considering me, but this blog is an award free zone for my own personal reasons.

 

Copyright © 2012 Design by Meghan. Template courtesy of Ipietoon