25 February 2011

Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick review

Posted by Meghan @ Books and a Cup of Tea at 5:34 PM

Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)
Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
Source: Library
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Nora Grey is back and she's getting into even more deadly situations! She's not entirely over the "incident" with Jules. She gained Patch as a guardian angel from it, but she's still on edge. And that only gets worse when Patch starts hanging around Marcie Millar, Nora's arch-enemy.

To get back at Patch, she starts hanging out with Scott Parnell, an old family friend who used to force her to eat roly polies. She soon realizes Scott carries a secret, which made him flee his old town. And when Nora starts seeing her murdered father, things start weighing down on her. Is he alive? What does he want? And why does Nora feel like something bad is going to happen?

Becca Fitzpatrick created a wonderful series and this is a wonderful second installment.

The characters still have depth just as much as they did in the first book, if not more. They have all evolved and I loved seeing how they stirred up more trouble in the world of fallen angels. Nora did bother me at times, but that wasn't enough for me to dislike the book. She was incredibly naive, but I tried putting myself in her situation and I guess my reaction wouldn't be far off either. I found myself wanting the dialogue to go a different way, though, because if she was mad at Patch for hanging out with Marcie, why didn't she stay on that topic? She was always letting him change the subject and evade answers, which made me want to yell at her (I actually found myself doing that at one point). Then, when he was going to give her answers, she wouldn't accept that and let him talk.

Patch was just as hot and delicious in this book as the first. He's such a bad boy, yet so sweet at the same time, it seems. He's always there for Nora. Name one girl that wouldn't love that!

There were enough twists and turns to keep me guessing and on my toes, and usually I can guess a lot of twists in a book/movie, but there were some twists in Crescendo I didn't predict ahead of time. There was plenty of action and not enough romance for my liking, but it all pulled together and worked. I wish Fitzpatrick would have kept up with Nora and her iron pills, though, as they were only mentioned once in Crescendo and were talked about almost every time Nora got stressed in Hush, Hush, so I felt like a semi-important detail was left out. That was the only flaw of the plot that I could find.

Overall, Fitzpatrick wrote an amazing, action-packed, fast read of a second installment. She wrote this one just as beautifully as the first and the pages were practically ripped from being turned so fast by me. If you are a fan of Hush, Hush, don't waste anytime in reading this one. You won't be disappointed.

I give Crescendo a 4 out of 5.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for considering me, but this blog is an award free zone for my own personal reasons.

 

Copyright © 2012 Design by Meghan. Template courtesy of Ipietoon